December 31, 2016

New Year's Eve at the Park

When I heard that 1.5 million people were making their way to Sydney Harbor starting early in the day to claim a spot in order to see the fireworks display in the evening, I opted to spend my day enjoying the Royal Botanic Garden and watch the fireworks on the tellie. I don't know, the thought of waiting in one spot all day and then being part of 1.5 million people pushing to get home after a 12 minute display just didn't sound like my kind of fun.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my day roaming the extensive grounds of the Royal Botanic Garden... to the point that I didn't want to go home! The location of this park reminded me a lot of Stanley Park, a preserved natural woodlands on a peninsula on Vancouver's harbor. With the Royal Botanic Garden boasting 30 ha (or 75 acres), with the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbor bordering one side and the Central Business District on the other end of the park, seemed like the perfect place to see the major areas of Sydney from one vantage point.


On the way to the Gardens are some government buildings, like the Mint, State Library, Hospital and Government House.

Once you get into the park there is a statue dedicated to Capt Arthur Philip, the first governor of New South Wales in the late 18th century. I found this was one of many statues I would pass while experiencing the grounds.




I was amazed at the host of plant variety and incredible walkways leading visitors to the different areas of the Gardens.









The birds in the park knew how to put on a show for us and the views of the Harbor and Opera House weren't too shabby either =)






Nice to know I made it just in time (last day of 2016) to help celebrate the Royal Garden's 200th birthday. It was established in 1816 and, like the signs in the park read, "200 years and still growing!"



Only a few of the garden areas were closed during the day to prepare for the forecast crowds. It was interesting to see people streaming to the harbor early in the morning and ships of all sizes claiming a spot in the harbor to view the eventual fireworks spectacle.



So what did the fireworks look like that evening?  Click here to see the 12 minute version of the fireworks that I saw and heard from my hotel room.