June 10, 2008

My Home and Native Land

As I was preparing to return to Canada for the summer months of June and July, I wondered whether I would experience reverse culture shock as this was my first time back from Asia in almost a year. Interesting that upon my arrival I seemed to slide right back into North American life as though I had never left! I have to admit that jet lag was more of an issue for me on my return than reverse culture shock. For some reason the 13 hour time difference is hardly noticed when I travel west to Korea, but it takes about a week to adjust when traveling back to Eastern Standard Time...?

Even though I didn't experience reverse culture shock there were reminders of what I hadn't witnessed for awhile, such as the trail of Tim Hortons and Harveys signs dotting the landscape, buses without curtains, stop signs, availability of dessert, knowing exactly what I was purchasing in grocery stores and open grass areas without vegetable gardens... with a population of 60 million (nearly double the population of Canada) on land 2/3 the size of Florida, South Koreans can't imagine having open areas without 'purpose'!


I must say it was good to step on Canadian soil again and experience life in my home and native land. I am thankful for phone, email and blogs, but there's nothing like connecting with friends and family at the personal level. As it turned out, I had a lot of opportunity to do that and more...