September 21, 2014

Far Side of the World

Some days, living overseas can seem as though I'm living a Far Side existence. Just when I think I've 'got it' and am familiar with life in this new Thai culture, something catches me off guard and I realize I'm still looking through western eyes.

In other words, there are times I see something and wonder if I'm seeing what I'm seeing...? Truth is, I'm seeing it alright but my western perspective simply doesn't allow me to compute.

Here's a collection of my TTT -- Thai Top Ten -- in random order. Things I find unique in this great country of Thailand.

1. My resident gecko-friend is often hanging around when I enter the bathroom in my condo. I really don't mind his taking up residence, although sometimes I'm tempted to charge him rent =) Bathrooms in this part of the tropics typically don't have windows or screens so critters are used to coming and going at will.

2. The latest trend in Thailand is to decorate with Mountain Dew bottles. For the longest time the beverage was not available in the country, but recently the stores are carrying it. Maybe it's the color of bottle or new flavor, but Mountain Dew is taking Thailand by storm and you can find these bottles in the most interesting places.




3. I absolutely love Thai cuisine. The combination of spices and ingredients still tempt the taste buds even though I'm going into my fourth year of living in Thailand. While I love most dishes, I can't seem to stomach the Thai interest in deep fried... anything... from deep-fried rats to deep-fried flowers. I think I'll stick to my Kalsoi.

4. Like most Asian countries, I find their forms of transportation highly entertaining. For instance, where in Canada can a person hop on the back of a pickup and stand on the bumper while screaming down the freeway? No helmet, no enclosure, no seat belt, no license. Well, it's a common form of transportation in Thailand. And then there are the drivers of motorbikes who go against traffic, drive on sidewalks, squeeze between moving vehicles and transport just about everything imaginable. I often see women passengers riding side-saddle on these motorbikes while putting on makeup or reading a book as the driver winds his way through rush hour traffic. The most unique sighting? It has to be the driver of a motorbike transporting pigs.

5. Clothing is another adjustment I've had to make in Thailand. While I look for the absolute lightest fabric possible (wearing shorts and t-shirts all year), I notice many Thais will put on full-length garb even when it's over 40C (110F) in the shade. I'll never forget when the daily high temperature dropped to around 24C (75F) for a few days last December and the students at school were talking about the possibility of having a 'White Christmas'. Maybe one day they will experience how cold it needs to be in order to get the white stuff.

6. People in Asia are very spirit-conscious. They go to great lengths to live with the spirits around them, from parents naming their children ugly names so spirits will leave them alone to building separate spirit houses on property -- commercial and residential alike -- intended to appease and provide a dwelling for nearby spirits. It's also interesting to me that Thais will honk when driving by a temple, apparently to pay homage to the spirits inside.

7. I looked up one day when I was walking down a city street only to find an electrician hanging onto a bunch of wires (called sky spaghetti) with one hand while walking on other wires below. You might call it a Thai-High Wire Act. It's always interesting to see the seemingly unorganized collection of wires strung from one pole to another, let alone someone balancing himself on them! Come to think of it, I don't know if I would be so quick to grab these wires cause I've seen enough of them on city streets that had gaps in insulation!

8. Every day on my way to work I walk on sidewalks with a host of critters -- from soi (street) dogs to birds. Only I notice birds in this area don't fly out of my way when I get near them but just hop out of the way. I don't know, this seems strange because back in North America I remember birds furiously flying away from me whenever I came anywhere near. I guess it's just too hot here for these birds to exert energy to fly!?

9. I really appreciate when young kids and friends greet each other with a Thai greeting, putting their hands together in a Y position while saying 'swatikap'. It is a customary way of greeting and showing respect that reminds me I'm not in Kansas anymore.

10. Would it seem strange to you to see eggs and meat not refrigerated in a grocery store? I must admit it's difficult to get used to the idea but I haven't been sick from eating these shelved items so I'm slowly getting used to the fact they don't need to be refrigerated... at least for a short period of time in a grocery store. Of course, they go in my fridge as soon as I get home =) And, by the way, watch that you don't buy those pink colored eggs -- also known as 1000 Year Old eggs -- because they are black and brown inside, fermented for months for some unknown reason.

There really are so many interesting differences between western culture and a place like Thailand that it's difficult to narrow it down to a top ten. If you haven't experienced this culture then I suggest you hop a plane to this part of the world to witness it first-hand!