August 09, 2008

Exploring South Korea

Last year was filled with wonderful opportunities for me to travel not only to South Korea but throughout Asia and Europe, including Japan, China, Malaysia, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, and not to forget the countries of the US and Canada =) Lord willing, it is my goal this year to get to know my resident country while I have the chance to do so!

Having my good friend Deedra visit in early August sure gave me a great jump-start to explore South Korea as I played tourist and tour guide at the same time. Over the six days Deedra was here, before she headed to China for the Beijing Olympics, we managed to spend time in Seoul, Busan and points between.

Perhaps one of the best decisions we made was joining a city-tour while in Seoul. This tour visits about 30 different sites per day, allowing us to hop on and off the bus for as long as we want at the sites that interest us the most. Not sure how many buses they have going at one time but we certainly didn't have to wait long to get on the next bus headed toward the next destination.


Some of the day's highlights included visiting historical sites, the War Memorial (see next post) and shopping in the more modern neighborhoods of Seoul. It was always a highlight, of course, to take off our shoes and sit on the floor for a good Korean meal =) I must say, Deedra took every opportunity to explore Korean cuisine; I don't think there was an item on the table she didn't try!