December 21, 2013

All From a Question

Little did I know a friendship would form when I first met and talked with this young 17 year old refugee (center) who happened to be sitting next to me in church one Sunday morning in early 2012. I will not forget the Spirit motivating me to ask my neighbor whether he needed help understanding the English Bible he held in his hands - the Bible he just received from the church after being baptized that morning.

I learned Wasim was a refugee from Sri Lanka. At the time Wasim's English was pretty-much non-existent so we did a lot of hand gestures and kept to simple words and phrases. Needless to say, he did not know how to read or understand his English Bible.


It is now going on two years after our first meeting and we continue to meet after church service most every Sunday. During our times together I have learned of his plight from Sri Lanka and the resultant difficulties that so many refugees encounter. My main goal at the time was to teach him enough English so we could eventually converse about the Bible and discuss other matters of faith. I figured knowing English would also help him on a daily basis (being the language Thais divert to when someone doesn't speak their language) and may one day help him land a job since English translators are always in demand.

I can't go into detail, but Wasim's family story of escaping Sri Lanka and being imprisoned in a detention center upon arrival in Thailand is heart-wrenching. Let's just say the things so many of us take for granted - such as religious freedom, living in relative peace and enjoying daily provisions - are simply not available to a vast majority of people worldwide. Nothing like being friends with someone living this scenario to better understand their struggles and lack of privileges.

By God's grace I have been able to support Wasim by enrolling him in private English classes during the week and then meeting with him on Sundays. Turns out he is a bright and motivated student. How great it is that we can now converse effortlessly in English. And now that he has a solid understanding of the language, I've encouraged him to share his knowledge by holding weekly ESL classes in his neighborhood, reading and (when necessary) translating Bible stories as part of the lesson. Not only can this reinforce Wasim's ability to communicate in English but he is learning how to teach others which can prepare him for when he is allowed to work in this country. (Refugees cannot attend public school or hold a job until they become recognized landed immigrants, which is so incredibly difficult especially on young people who are in a holding-pattern for years and have their lives in front of them!)

This Christmas season I was able to visit Wasim and the neighborhood children he teaches, bringing with me friends from church. We visited these wonderful kids and parents, handing out stockings, playing word games, then sharing a meal with them and also the true meaning of Christmas. Wasim told me that most children only know of Christmas as a time to wear a red hat (imitating Santa) and share cake. I remember this was the case when I visited the villages in Borneo years back. What a wonderful opportunity to share with them the real hope-filled life-changing meaning of Christmas!


It continues to be my prayer this ESL ministry spreads into other areas of the refugee community as others learn from Wasim. Not only could this provide opportunity for many to learn English but also the tenants of the Christian faith, preparing them to come to a saving knowledge of God while lovingly serving others along the way!