January 03, 2013

The Bat Cave

I have to admit I wasn’t overly eager at the prospect of entering a cave called Tham Phu Wai known as a home for bats. I reasoned this was probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and decided to go for it even though I’ve spend the best part of my life avoiding bats. Besides, how many Batman fans can actually say they entered The Bat Cave?

If I remember correctly, the cave is located on the other side of the mountain of Wat Tham Khao Wong, or the Oasis described in my other post. Dean, JT and I were the only ones who wanted to see the caves so we had the tour guide, a Thai army soldier supervising the area, take us on a private tour. First item of business was finding a reliable lantern to help illuminate the dark.


I expected the squealing of bats and the complete blackness when entering, but was not expecting that I would walk on bat waste or witness snake skins hanging from above.

I put these things out of my mind as I marveled at the eroded rock formations created from centuries of water flow. The erosion continues as barriers are placed around recent indentations forming from the continual dripping of water, apparently started some 20 years ago.






It was great to see the light of day again and walk down the mountain. Near our vehicle, I saw for the first time a Poinsettia tree. I thought they only grew as low-lying plants...?