January 02, 2013

Many Faces of Indonesia

Did you know Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world with a population of over 240 million spread across some 900 inhabited islands (of 18,000)? I always thought my home city of Bangkok was big at over 7 million but the capital of Jakarta stands as the 6th largest city in the world at almost 3 times the size when including metropolitan regions.

I not only got to experience the vastness of Jakarta first-hand but had opportunity to visit the Kwiecien family who I first got to know during my days in Korea. It was so good to see these friends again, relaxing in their home and at the nearby pool before venturing to the sites of Jakarta.

Visiting one city on one island provides a limited view of Indonesia. That's why I was excited to visit the Tama Mini Indonesia park where a person "tours Indonesia within a day".

The park represents the varying cultures that make up Indonesia with life-size buildings, landscaping, shops, museums and artifacts particular to each region.




Anjungan Sumatera Barat



Anjungan Sumatera Utara


Anjungan Kalamantan Barat


Anjungan Papua


Anjungan Sulawesi Tenggara




Anjungan Sulawesi Seletan





Anjungan Nusa Tenggara Barat


Anjungan Jawa Timur




Sasana Adirasa Hall



Taking in all the regions of Indonesia was a lot to chew even within one theme park, but it certainly gave me a good idea of what to expect if I were to visit the various islands in person.