October 06, 2009

Toein' the Line

Remember the kids game when one would draw a line in the sand and challenge another to dare step over it? Well, my trip along the North Korean border in Tumen China felt a little like I was playing this game again. There was a part of me that wanted to take the challenge and cross into North Korea but knew the line that separates China and North Korea is no game to the guards who patrol it or the countries they represent.

The line actually exists on a bridge spanning the two countries and can be approached after giving a small donation to the Chinese border guards. The guards allow you to pass through the inspection gate and walk within inches of the border.




The Tumen River and surrounding area looks so calm and peaceful to the visitor -- even a couple river rafts docked along the shore as showpieces of tranquility. Hard to believe this narrow river dividing China and North Korea is the very place where so many have attempted to escape from North Korea. Despite it's peaceful appearance, I have no doubt there was a legion of guards incognito watching our every move. Horrific stories coming from such a beautiful place; one such story I found in the Washington Post.





Looking over the Tumen River into North Korea was both fascinating and sad at the same time. I suppose if the media didn't spend so much time educating us or if I didn't hear stories from South Koreans about friends and relatives in the north, I would not be so fascinated that I was at this highly-guarded border or sad when thinking of the residents experiencing difficulties on the other side of the line.