December 26, 2013

White Christmas in Bangkok?

I woke up this morning to the coldest temperature I can remember in Bangkok for the past two years: a cool 19 degrees C (or 66 degrees F). This is quite the milestone for me because last night was the first time I opened my windows and did not have my air conditioner operating since I moved here. In fact, I didn't have my air conditioner on all day yesterday either at the office or at home since we only reached a high of 26 degrees C.


I have to laugh because this cool spell is having quite an effect on the Thai nationals. While the foreigners love it, the guards at my residence are sporting coats and the kids come to school bundled in sweaters. Students were overheard saying they were hoping for a white Christmas =) All we need is for the temperature to drop another 19 degrees C and for precipitation, a bit of a stretch since it is our dry season. Then again, I heard it snowed in Egypt only 5 days ago -- something that hasn't happened for over 100 years -- so I guess anything is possible!


After a little research, I learned the lowest temperature recorded for Bangkok occurred in January 1955 with a low of 10 degrees C (50 degrees F). With Bangkok having average consistent year round temperatures from mid-20 lows to mid-30 highs, I guess it is natural for the weather to become the topic of conversation when it ventures outside the norm. Still, we have a bit of a way to go before we experience a white Christmas.