February 17, 2013

Mango Rains

I commented to a Thai friend recently that I was surprised it was raining because I thought we were in dry season!? Turns out I was correct that rainy season isn't for another 3-4 months (typically June to October) but many southern countries like Thailand experience what are called Mango Rains.

By definition, Mango Rains are pre-monsoon showers or short bursts of thunderstorms that occur sporadically in the months preceding the rainy season and help the ripening of mangoes. While these rains are hard to predict, they are essential to preventing mangoes from dropping prematurely from trees. I guess the periodic moisture helps ripen the fruit to God-designed perfection.

I say I'm all for these rains... anything to help produce the mango which has become my new favorite tropical fruit. The best dessert in Thailand: Mango and Sticky Rice consisting of fresh mango slices with rice covered in a coconut sauce. If you haven't had it, you've got to try it!