May 28, 2012

The Next Chapter

This month I completed my work term in Chiang Mai to start the next chapter in my life. Yes indeed, recently I was formally offered a job at an international school in the 'city of angels' – and no I don’t mean Los Angeles but Bangkok!

So how did this chapter even get started? Well, while I was in Bangkok for a job fair last March I contacted a local Christian school called International Community School (ICS) in Bangkok for an interview, a school I've had my eye on for a couple years now. As it turned out, they were interested in visiting with me and I was eventually invited to work with them after a number of weeks of deliberation.

It’s been a long haul to get to this point but I feel confident this next move is right in line with what I need/want to do and in line with God’s purposes for me. Somehow I knew God was leading me to ICS in Bangkok this past while but didn't know how it could happen since ICS didn't have an advertised job for me. Long story short, the headmaster there recognized what I could offer their school and custom-created a job for me as Dean of Students. I couldn't have asked for anything more and now understand why God closed the door with the other employment opportunities/offers this past half-year. Needless to say, I'm glad to be near-done the Masters of Education with Counseling degree and settled in at a school.

I started at ICS by helping them finish the 2011-2012 school year while also ramping up for 2012-2013. My head was spinning a bit because I came to Thailand thinking I would only be here a few months as volunteer in Chiang Mai and am now starting a full-time job in Bangkok. I will still head back to Ontario for the summer (back in early June till end of July) but it's great to be able to start this job now and get settled before the next school year starts.

How great it is that I will also be able to spend time with an old friend Dean who I got to know in Denver back in the 90s who now lives in Bangkok. I’m sure I will get to know and become friends with many staff at ICS but it certainly is interesting to watch old and new worlds intersect!