February 24, 2012

Grace International School

Little did I know that after two years, when visiting Chiang Mai for the first time, I would be back working at one of their international schools in the school counseling department. I arrived at Grace International School in early February and have already been asked to work on developing a Career Center for them along with performing so many other school counselor duties such as working with the Special Needs department, testing, teaching, facilitating workshops and, of course, counseling students both informally and during sessions.



Briefly, the hours I continue to put in at Grace International School not only are intended to help the school but also contribute to the practicum hours I need to complete my Masters of Education with School Counselor specialization. Since the cost of living is so incredibly low in Thailand and I had points needed for air travel, I figured why not help out a mission school that supports missionaries and their kids in Asia? If you're interested in more details about the school itself, check out their school link: http://www.gisthailand.org/.

Living in the tropics doesn't have much of a down side for those of us who enjoy the heat. Well, there's no doubt that it's hot and I'm told it's only going to get hotter by April, the hottest month of the year. Even the dogs don't run to greet you cause they don't want to get up and exert the energy =)

So then, how great to be able to sit by the pool after my day at work, enjoying a Thai dinner for $1 from the outdoor kitchen and sipping a Thai drink that has a picture of 'happy fruit' on the label. During my first week here, I asked a student what drink to buy from the snack bar and I'm glad I listened to him cause it goes down real nice!


When interested in cuisine that is more western in flavor, there's a restaurant right across the street called SoJo's Cafe. Actually, it can be quite a dangerous place for those who enjoy Starbucks-style frappuccinos... like how about what's called a Blackforest Shake that contains a blend of chocolate, coffee, ice and milk for a little over $1. Dangerous.




In addition to the work duties I find here at GIS, I could share all that I'm learning about the school community but that would take a lot of blog space! Let's just say there so many incredible staff and students at this school who exhibit such a faith and maturity that I find humbling.

Seems as though I can talk to most students, some for lengthy periods of time, and I feel as though I've known them for years. For instance, one senior last week told me to email his parents who live in central Asia and stay with them if I should ever travel that way. Definitely, this is a community of international residents who enjoy each others' company.