July 20, 2017

Working Summer

I had no idea until this past year how difficult it would be to live half way around the world in Thailand when family needs arose in my home country of Canada. Admittedly, many times I felt strapped as to what I can do to help because I was not physically with family... so I eventually learned that I can only do what-I-can-do when-I-can-do-it.

My wanting to help family is the primary reason I wanted this summer to be a "working summer". As per usual, I could travel to Canada and be with my parents for a full seven weeks over the school's summer break. Unfortunately, Dad is still in the hospital due to the stroke he had last April with little to no hope of moving back home given his current condition. Therefore Mom and I spent the majority of our time downsizing their 3 story townhome, cleaning both loft and basement while making the main floor more conducive for Mom.


Pretty much from the moment I arrived, my aim was to help Mom sift, sort and sacrifice items to clear the third floor loft and reduce the basement as much as possible. I often commented their basement was a full household of items in and of itself so, understandably, it took most of our time to clean. It felt absolutely wonderful to remove the last of the boxed items destined for charity and the trash only days before I was scheduled to return to Thailand.

The summer was not only about doing errands and downsizing my parent's townhome but provided opportunities to visit with other family and friends. I am very thankful for those who made the effort to visit with me, some driving in from Orillia, Toronto and Leamington! How great to be able to connect with family and friends over coffee, lunch and a backyard BBQ.



It was also wonderful to visit with those who attended my brother and sister-in-law's 40th anniversary near the beginning of the summer. Hard to believe it has been 40 years already since their wedding day when I put on my frilly tuxedo and acted as usher =) How great it was to visit with people I wouldn't normally have a chance to see!



To cap the summer off, a visit to Guelph coincided with celebrating my grand-nephew's 5th birthday. Wow, what a dose of reality to witness my 2 grand-nieces and 2 grand-nephews grow older when I return to Canada each summer! But what a treat this year to be able to participate in Tristan's birthday celebration since I am usually overseas when such events occur.



I'm not quite sure how all of this fit in with my schedule, but I was also able to complete an entire web site for a neighboring Christian school in Bangkok and visit with Dad in the hospital most every day. All in all, an active summer to say the least!