August 25, 2007

Life at Work (Korea 2007)

Judging by the number of posts I have on life in Japan or Korea, some of you may be wondering whether I actually have a job at TCIS. Well, I do and my work days are typically jam-packed and full of learning!

All in all, I am thoroughly enjoying my job as technology coordinator at Taejon Christian International School. Much of my job is directing the school in the use of their technology and helping staff and students use software on campus. The South Koreans are highly technical so my job is both challenging and fun... challenging for me to stay on top of the latest and greatest technology and fun because I don't have to work with antiquated equipment.

The other part of my job in teaching Computer Graphics to high school students is a bit more of a challenge for me than expected. The kids are great (very polite and studious) but I find it challenging to keep ahead of them sometimes because they’re so quick to figure out new programs and technology. When all is said and done, I think the kids are having fun as they learn how to manipulate images on Adobe Photoshop.

The atmosphere at this missionary school is quite a bit different from the average grade school or high school in North America because it has elementary, middle and high schools all on one campus! Needless to say, the energy level is quite high with almost 600 kids sharing 10 acres of campus. On my way to lunch I took a couple shots of the middle school kids playing basketball outdoors while the elementary kids were finishing up in the cafeteria.














One of the great aspects of working at a Christian International School is that I can be involved in activities aside from my assigned job duties. For instance, it's great to attend chapel services and help accompany the choir. Even though I'm just moving from one keyboard (computer) to another (piano), it's a change of pace and I really enjoy it!