March 19, 2017

Weekend Getaway

Thanks to the warm hearts of school administrators, staff at our school had a 4 day weekend in March to help us rejuvenate as we sprint toward the end of the school year (end of May).

I took advantage of this extra time to head down to Mae Phim Beach, south of Rayong here in Thailand. It is supposed to take roughly 2.5 hours to get there but I ended up in a van that made a stop every 5 minutes in urban areas (no exaggeration). Needless to say, it was an excruciatingly long trip of 7 hours and a lesson for me to watch what van I get into next time. It's important to include the word 'express' when inquiring about bus or van transportation!


I've been keeping my eye on a new resort in the Mae Phim area and was able to reserve a room at the Grand Blue. It has only been open for business 4 months so the facilities were spotless.




Right across the street from the resort is a beach where I spent some time relaxing and taking advantage of the cooler temps and fresh air. It's a perfect place to gather my thoughts, recite Scripture and spend time in prayer. I'm also including a 30 second video which serves as a good reminder of the sights and sounds experienced on the Gulf of Thailand...





The trip back was much better in that it took the expected 2.5 hours. I have to say that as we approached Bangkok, I noticed more than ever the city environment in which I live most of the time, once again having to get used to concrete and traffic. I'm already looking forward to my next opportunity to get a break from city life!