It didn't take long when driving out of Sofia to get into the mountain range that stands nearby.
I must admit it felt absolutely wonderful to be back in mountain terrain again. I was often reminded of times driving with family in Austria with small towns dotting the hillsides. Other times, I was reminded of my time living in both British Columbia and Colorado when observing the mountain peaks and forested valleys.
Part of the tour to the Rila Monastery was stopping in at a Bulgarian Orthodox church called Boyana Church. Its original section was built in the late 10th century, with additional wings built in the 13th and 19th centuries.
The medieval church acts as a museum today, highlighting interior frescoes painted over 1000 years ago.
I couldn't help but notice the small door that leads into the church. The door is probably 2/3 the height of a standard door, apparently to 'force' those entering to bow out of respect. I'm not sure exactly what/who they are to respect... if it's God, then I'm sure He would be honored if the person's heart bows at the same time as their body!
The door definitely looked as though it had seen some action. Our guide confirmed these were bullet holes planted by Turkish soldiers from the days of the Ottoman takeover. One can imagine how this church would have been an actual 'safe zone' for those wanting to escape the bullets from an advancing enemy.
Visitors will also notice a grave prominently placed in the church yard. This is the grave of Queen Elenora of Bulgaria who, during the Balkan and First World wars, nursed a great number of injured Bulgarian soldiers. Her last wish was to be buried in the cemetery at Boyana.
This medieval church site remains a sanctuary in the serene mountainous countryside for visitors in today's world. Not only is it a wonderful place for people looking to de-stress from daily life, but to be reminded of days gone by when others came looking for similar relief under very different circumstances!








