October 07, 2024

The Finer Things in Life

I haven't seen my friend Mark for over 20 years, since having lived in Denver back in the 90s.  Who would have thought back then the next time we met would be in the country of Thailand half the world away?

Besides dinner at a favorite restaurant in Chiangmai called the Kaomao-Khaofang Imaginary Jungle, Mark and I were introduced to an English speaking taxi driver who was willing to drive us to various attractions in the mountains that surround the city.  

One of our stops, the Orchid and Butterfly Farm was a relaxing place "to stop and smell the orchids", so to speak.  It was incredible to experience the variety of orchids and butterflies in enclosed areas off our mountain road.  


I don't know a lot about gardening but it seemed kind of impossible to both Mark and me that the orchids could have roots hanging down, never touching soil, and still survive.  

After a little research, I found these flowers actually survive on a mixture of moss-covered surfaces while also drawing moisture and nutrients from the surrounding atmosphere.  These orchids find what they need in a way I never would have imagined.

This answers the question why some flowers in these parts of Thailand can be found growing out of trees some 4-8 feet above the ground.  Turns out the flowering plant finds the nutrients and support from the tree in its natural environment!



There was another enclosed area visitors can walk containing butterflies.  It was a great opportunity to get some closeup pictures and learn some interesting facts about these winged insects.

For instance, I saw plates of fruit throughout this area and thought that was a bit strange, until I learned that butterflies have 'taste receptors' on their feet.  Who knew?


Our next stop was not quite so serene, for Mark and I actually paid to enter a cage with tigers 😬