Westerners here in Korea often comment that finding information on local events is like finding gold because the information is so difficult to come by. I would have to agree, noticed especially when wanting to take in local events with friends and visitors to the country.
Once again I depended on our Korean staff here at TCIS to help me dig for info. Much to my surprise, we struck gold relatively quick when we found a Korean web site advertising a huge flower exhibition called Floritopia on the east coast island of Anmyeong. Luckily for Ginny and I, this exhibit was open (mid-April till mid-May) and we could board a bus in Daejon that would take us directly to the exhibition grounds!
Once we got into the exhibit, we witnessed endless gardens together with a host of displays, food and entertainment. Seemed like everywhere we turned there was another showcase of flowers from outdoor fields to indoor arrangements.As you can imagine, both Ginny and I came back with a copious amount of photos -- too many to include here! I'll try to limit my enthusiasm and provide a sampling of images so you get a good idea of our day.
I think Ginny and I represented about 33% of the westerners in attendance that day -- at least of those we noticed. Besides us, we saw six westerners in an advertised crowd of 100,000. Of course we weren't always on the look-out nor did we go in all parts of the exhibit but we found the lack of foreigners an interesting fact.I think Ginny was a little less excited about our lunch, another Korean favorite called hwe-mool-pajon. It's very similar to a seafood omelette with scallions, shrimp and oysters. It's good stuff except for the inclusion of octopus -- I just moved the legs to the side =)
Needless to say, our day was filled with a plethora of sights, sounds and smells... something for everybody! If you were tired of smelling fish then simply walk 50 yards to smell the roses or take a walk among the tulips!