July 22, 2011

Are We In Korea?

While in Lynchburg and during my visit to Raleigh, I met close to 20 mostly former TCIS employees; people I worked with at the American school in South Korea. This truly was an added bonus to my stay in Virginia this summer that reminded me how fortunate I am to have had the opportunity to meet and work with so many quality people!

Sally organized what we called a mini-TCIS reunion. Friends from Illinois, Minnesota, Georgia, North Carolina and Ontario all drove or flew in to not only celebrate the 4th but share memories of Korea, life in the dorms and, of course, Korean cuisine =)




Actually, our reunion turned out to be a momentous occasion for me: it was the first time I had a strawberry sundae!

Yup, you heard me right. For those of you who know me well, know that I am not a fan of ice cream... it has something to do with its frozen temperature and persons chewing it. I've been in therapy for years over this issue and it must be working because I actually took the plunge and ordered one.

I told the lady at the big ice cream cone (stand) that I was willing to order the sundae if she could add more strawberries, cake and whip cream than ice cream. Well, she promised but didn't deliver. Hence I am left holding the biggest strawberry sundae with I-don't-know-how-many HUGE scoops of ice cream!  Even the veteran sundae eaters had not witnessed sundaes this size before.

Not believing in wasting food of any kind, I actually finished most of it... and liked it! Turns out the ice cream was soft enough to let melt in my mouth, thus avoiding the need to chew and any further therapy =) It's a brand new world!