July 23, 2011

Sweet Virginia

Part of the degree requirements for a Masters of Education with a specialization in school counseling is that I attend a quarter of my classes on campus at Liberty University located in central Virginia. At first I thought it would be somewhat of an inconvenience because all other courses I can take online from anywhere there is hi-speed internet access. After attending these intensives, however, I am glad for these requirements because I can meet others in my program, learn counseling and education skills requiring personal interaction and make new friends from all over the country!


I decided to polish off two of the one-week intensives this summer which meant staying in Lynchburg for the entire month of July. Fortunately, new-found friends agreed to let me stay at their house which saved me from having to pay a bundle on hotel bills. Besides, it was a wonderful opportunity to get to know some undergraduate students also attending Liberty, not only witnessing their talents as they are involved in music ministry but their love of barbequing and setting things on fire (like backyard fireworks on the 4th =)




This may seem a little strange, but I have to mention something about my discovery in the Madison Heights area near our home. I feel like an explorer who discovered something amazing... but then I'm sure a lot of people feel the same who venture to the La Carreta restaurant. There's a lunch deal that I simply cannot believe. Imagine a platter-size plate of pico de gallo and cheese, taco, chile relleno, beans, and another dinner plate of salad, guacamole, tomato-cucumber-onion medley and bowl of chips with salsa for $4.36 including tax. Obviously this is a two-course meal for me and I take half home so, in essence, a lunch there ends up being $2.18 including tax! Can't beat that when you're on a student budget. I'm glad Virginia went Mexican =)

And I can't post an entry on my time at Liberty without mentioning the incredible free facilities available to faculty and students at the Liberty Mountain Snowflex Center. Picture this: close to the campus on a nearby (what Virginians call a) mountain is a lodge with year-round skiing and snow-boarding. You ask how can they offer skiing and snowboarding all year, especially in the 90+ degree days of summer? Well, the runs are made of a synthetic material designed to simulate the slip and grip effects of snow. Snowflex has a water misting system that keeps the surface moist, enabling skiers of all ages to venture to the slopes till midnight most every day of the year!







Regardless how intense these on-campus classes are -- and they are called intensives for a reason -- it is definitely wonderful to recuperate with facilities like Liberty Mountain and local restaurant deals afterward!  I'm actually kind of sorry there is only one more on-campus course required in my schedule =)