July 21, 2019

Retiro Park

There is a park in central Madrid named Retiro Park with a green area of over 125 hectares (300 acres). This park was initially reserved for the royal family until 1868 when it was opened to the public at the overthrow of Isabella's reign.

The name implies that the royal family would retreat to this park after a grueling day in the palace =)

At one point in the gardens, visitors can see a cast-iron crystal greenhouse built in 1887 that often holds exotic plants from other countries. The greenhouse helps facilitate a climate for the plants that is different from the hot & dry conditions found in Madrid.

Central to the park is the oldest tree in Madrid with an estimated age of 400 years, sprouting somewhere around 1630.



The artificial lake by the greenhouse was previously four times its current size so kings could simulate battle scenes with actual war ships!

I always enjoy learning the behind-the-scenes history of a place. Apparently, the building that currently houses a museum, located near the semicircular colonnade, held Nazi soldiers who were there to help the Francoist dictator rebels claim power in Spain.

Before the entrenchment of this dictatorship, people lived under a Spanish Republic and previous attempts at overthrowing the government was resisted by weapons in the hands of citizens. Eventually the rebels took over during a bloody civil war that left over 2000 dead in March of 1939. Nazis started bombing Madrid before WWII, helping this new dictatorship claim power from 1939 until the power change in the mid 1970s when citizens cast off this regime to install a government favoring capitalism.



Interesting, that my camera literally quit on me just before the end of the tour only to find out later that the last statue we were about to visit was that dedicated to Lucifer or Satan. The statue is of him falling after having been banished from heaven.

It was time for a new camera after 15 years but what a time for it to die on me! Admittedly, I was a bit nervous because it was late in the day and stores would be closed soon and I had another tour first thing in the morning. So, after asking, the Lord led me directly to a store within 20 minutes along Gran Via Avenue that sold the make/model of camera I was looking for -- and at roughly 20% less than I could get in Canada!

Even though I know we serve a God of details, I was amazed that the first store I walked in had what I needed! This is not easy when roaming around a city you don't know, in a language you don't speak, and without a GPS because my iPod battery also died... when it rains, it pours =) Through this experience I was reminded that the Lord leads when we believe in Him and ask in simple faith.

Bottom line: I was so thankful to have another camera so I could continue taking pictures and record the rest of my time in Spain.