November 23, 2017

Hong Kong Style

The main reason I chose to go to Hong Kong at this time of year was to attend a counseling workshop. It was a two day conference led by an author of one of our texts in grad school and I didn't want to miss it! And since we had the American thanksgiving holiday at the end of the same week, I decided to stay a full week in the city.



Conference days made it seem like I was part of the daily bustle, finding my way through the subway and crowded streets during rush hour all in an effort to arrive at 'work' on time.


Hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since last visiting Hong Kong and it didn't take long to remember the unique flavors soon after I arrived -- from the crowded streets, tall thin skyscrapers stacked beside each other, cable cars, colorful festivals right down to the not-exactly-pleasant smell of dried seafood when walking the streets.









With the first two days taken with the conference, that left me with another 5 days to tour Hong Kong and the surrounding territory. So I booked a day trip to Macau (see post) and another tour to help me investigate what it was like to live in Hong Kong over the past centuries (see post).