April 04, 2012

At the Banana

How great that the school I am volunteering at this spring has a break for two weeks in the middle of April. This is appropriately timed because I get a chance to chill and regain some needed energy... and what a better place to do this than at a place called The Banana Garden resort on the island of Lanta in the South Pacific.

In my previous post I mention the lengths it took for me to get to Koh Lanta but let me elaborate a little on the ferry experience in particular. Obviously, water transportation is incredibly important when getting people to and from these islands off the south coast of Thailand. While motorized ferryboats transport people from the mainland to large islands, small wooden longtail boats come along side to pick up passengers headed to the smaller islands. These waterways between islands get quite busy.





It took a good half day to get from the airport in Krabi to my destination in Lanta but it was well worth the time and effort! The rustic log cabin I’m in near the beach is a perfect place for quiet relaxation in the sun and near the surf.



Some of the most incredible scenery is here for the viewing throughout the day and evening. Then when the sun goes down, the locals come out to entertain visitors on the beach while we enjoy another great meal of Thai cuisine. I particularly enjoy the flame performers who are similar to drum majors back home who twirl and throw batons... only these guys use batons that are on fire! Put the ever-changing configuration of sunsets as a backdrop and you’ve got perfect ends to perfect days.





While some friends stayed on the beach watching crabs dig holes in fascinating patterns, I accepted a challenge to do something more on the daring side like sky-diving! AS IF. Actually thanks to Photoshop, I could prove to my friends that I took them up on their challenge without actually having to get in a plane... but I think they figured out my methods =)