December 24, 2008

An A-OK KK Christmas

I liked Malaysia so much last year that I decided to return again this year for the school's Christmas and New Year break. Of the near three week break, I was privileged to spend one week in the Tawau area with the Mukri family visiting churches in the jungle and 12 days in Kota Kinabalu (KK) relaxing at the Sutera Resort before the start of another semester.

Christmas in the tropics is definitely colorful and exciting in a way that only the southern islands can experience. Let's face it, it wasn't exactly like bundling up and taking a horse-drawn sleigh to the church in the woods on Christmas Eve. OK, so Christmas in Canada may not be quite that romantic anymore but there was a part of me that missed the white stuff this season.


Christmas in 30C/90F temps, however, is not exactly a hardship or difficult adjustment to make =) It doesn't even strike me funny anymore to hear Winter Wonderland and Sleigh Bells over the department store PA, Christmas decorations on palm trees or to walk around in shorts and sandals this time of year.

One thing I wasn't planning on: the open references to Christ by the Malay people. This is interesting to me because Malaysia is predominantly a Muslim country! It was sure great to listen to choirs singing Christmas carols (like Joy to the world, the Lord has come and The First Noel) in public restaurants and the vast majority of residents greeting one another with Merry Christmas. I was told that Malaysians in Sabah don't play the 'political correctness' game but rather choose to respect each other, even when disagreeing on issues of religion and politics. How refreshing!


Of course the commercial side of Christmas remains alive and well in Malaysia. Beautiful Christmas decorations surrounded us as did retailers offering Christmas discounts -- not quite to the fever pitch as in North America, but enjoyable all the same.


And some of you will be happy to know that Santa Claus hasn't forgotten about Malaysia. I saw him up close! He took time out of his busy schedule to come greet us at our dinner table on Christmas Eve. I guess I wasn't very good this year because he just gave me a small chocolate =) The Malaysian Love Bear also made an appearance spreading love and peace to everyone -- no chocolates, just hugs.