July 05, 2008

Cruisin' the Night Away

Life at the cottage isn't only about hiking and swimming, for there are opportunities to attend local community events. When I was living at the cottage year round a few years back, I was able to go to such events as dinner cruises on the Chi-Cheemaun (ferry service between islands on Georgian Bay), Port Elgin's Pumpkinfest and various other fairs and concerts in Owen Sound. Not exactly New York City but we're also not limited to watching grass grow =)

The summer months tend to draw vintage car owners and enthusiasts together to share in their love of the automobile. If the local A&W restaurant isn't sponsoring a 50's night with tail finned cars and waitresses on roller skates, then the town of Southampton (population 3000) blocks off its streets so visitors can peruse vehicles from as far back as the 1920s! I took my camera one Thursday evening so I could share with you some of my favorites. Can you find the 1948 Monarch, 67 Corvette and 1947 Chevy?








Then when you're tired of looking at exteriors and want to see what's under the hood, you can go to the local race track to see the action. Ever since my Dad took me to the track as a kid, I've tried to keep up the tradition at least once a year at Sauble Speedway. It is definitely a unique cultural experience that gets in your blood -- of course, the smell of hot rubber and fumes helps a little =)