December 17, 2007

'Tis the Season (here too)

It's December 23rd and I am finally catching my breath from an incredibly busy month at Taejon Christian International School. Technically, we ended our school semester on the 20th but I've been playing catch-up on work and personal projects since, trying to complete as much as possible before Christmas. I wondered whether the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was as busy here in Korea as it tends to be back home. Well, I can emphatically say "it is so".

I could write pages (or should I say posts) about all the activities that have kept me busy this past month aside from my job of teaching and coordinating technology at the school. Not to worry, I won't bore you with all the details but permit me to share a few of the highlights...

For instance, I thoroughly enjoyed accompanying one of our high school choirs at a Christmas concert a couple weeks ago. The closing number was the '12 Days After Christmas', a comical rendition detailing how the true love responded to all the Christmas gift-giving. If you're interested in hearing a choir perform this number, check out this YouTube video ... it isn't our choir and is poor quality but it will give you a good idea of how our choir sounded.

A few days after the concert, I organized a carol sing at a friend's house which turned out to be a wonderful time for faculty and staff to kick back, drink wassail and enjoy the season in song.

Another highlight was my attending a youth choir concert at the Daejon Arts Center last Friday. What an incredible facility for the performing arts! This is the place I heard my first rendition of ‘O Danny Boy’ in Korean. Admittedly, I was culturally challenged listening to an Irish tune with Korean words, but I made it through to hear perhaps the best youth choir concert ever. Their sound was so smooth and seemingly perfect that I sat through the concert in awe.


Click on the picture for a bird's-eye read of the program. Select the Back button to return to the blog. Hey, at least I could read the order of the program =)

I expect the next couple days will be equally as busy as the previous month. So far my Christmas Eve schedule shows lunch at the Outback Steakhouse, playing for a service at our local English congregation and visiting with friends in their home later in the evening. As for Christmas Day, we'll start with a brunch at a fellow-Canadian's home followed by a turkey dinner at friends from Idaho. I sure am blessed with friends here in Korea who love the Lord and love being part of community as much as I do.

At the same time, I wish I could be transported to the US and Canada to be with family and friends there but that is simply not a possibility this year, especially since I will be heading to Malaysia the day after Christmas for a couple weeks! This will be my first time in Malaysia – the first week on a mission trip to the inner areas of Borneo and the second week kicking back at a hotel along the beaches in Kota Kinabalu. Apparently Borneo is only 4 degrees north of the equator so I'm guaranteed a tropical Christmas and New Year this year. I’ll make sure to update this blog with further details when I get back.

(Christmas lights near City Hall in Seoul Korea)

In the meantime, allow me to wish all of you a wonderful Christmas season and all God's best for the year 2008. May it be a year of deepening your relationship and resting in our Lord, the Giver of Life and Author of Love.

"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation." (Psalm 91:14-16)