August 31, 2007

First Days in South Korea

Well, I'm in Korea now and survived my first 2 days of new staff orientation. The returning staff are coming back tomorrow (Mon) for another full week of orientation. Taejon Christian International School (TCIS) believes in hitting the ground running and that's exactly what we did last week from the 7:30am breakfasts to the 6pm barbecues. I kind of wish there was more time to set up the apartment but it's more important that I connect with people on campus so the apartment will have to wait a bit.

I am so impressed with the faculty and staff at the school. They are so incredibly friendly and helpful and I am appreciative of that especially since everything here is new to me. About half the staff are Korean and they will seemingly give you the shirt off their backs if you ask them. Not only that but they follow-through on what they say they will without you asking twice! I'm finding out exactly how much Asian people respect age and level of education -- to the point where they will ask you outright what your age is so they know how to approach you and address you. If you’re older and/or have a high level of education they will make sure they bow when they meet you. I don't think I'll get used to this anytime soon.

Can you say hot and humid? I can honestly say that I have NEVER experienced anything like this before, even in Florida in the summer! It's one of those things where I walk to school (5 minute walk at best) and am drenched. In fact, we don't even have to move and we're wet... standing in line at the cafeteria, watching a serviceman hooking up my internet in my apartment, eating lunch at a local Korean restaurant (some restaurant owners don't believe in air conditioning). Unbelievable. I've never taken so many showers! Well, they say we should expect this till mid September and then things will start to cool down. May September come quickly!